Professional Water & Fire

Damage Restoration Services in Atlanta

15-25 Minute

Response Time

How Does Black Mold Affect Your Four-Legged Family Members?
How Does Black Mold Affect Your Four-Legged Family Members?

Recent Posts

The Basics of Water Damage Restoration
The Basics of Water Damage Restoration

The Basics of Water Damage Restoration Water damage is a…

image
February 01,2023
How Much Does Water Damage Restoration Cost?
How Much Does Water Damage Restoration Cost?

How Much Does Water Damage Restoration Cost? Water damage restoration…

image
January 26,2023
Tips To Prevent Water Damage from Leaking Appliances
Tips To Prevent Water Damage from Leaking Appliances

Tips To Prevent Water Damage from Leaking Appliances A home’s…

image
January 18,2023
Preparing for the Fire Damage Restoration
Preparing for the Fire Damage Restoration

Preparing for the Fire Damage Restoration There are three primary…

image
January 13,2023
How Does Black Mold Affect Your Four-Legged Family Members?
April 27,2022

How Does Black Mold Affect Your Four-Legged Family Members?

While most people are familiar with the health implications of mold exposure to humans, not many of us realize that black mold can endanger the health of our pets.

Your four-legged family members can inhale mold spores or accidentally ingest black mold when they eat moldy food. When inhaled, black mold can cause a range of respiratory issues such as coughing, sneezing, and labored breathing.

If you suspect that your pet has inhaled black mold, you should see your vet as soon as possible.

When ingested, black mold can lead to vomiting, loss of appetite, and muscle tremors in pets. If your pets ingest a significant amount of black mold and don't get treated quickly, the results can be fatal.

Ingesting even a small amount of black mold can cause digestive and gastrointestinal problems in pets.

Black mold can also affect pets through their coat or skin. Prolonged exposure to black mold can lead to excessive scratching, biting, licking, or chewing. Your pets’ coat or skin can trap black mold spores, and the mold will continue to grow especially on oily fur. Once you get rid of black mold, you should also consider bathing your four-legged members.

What Is Black Mold? Where Does It Live?

Black mold, also known as Stachybotrys chartarum, refers to several species of mold that commonly grow in damp areas of a house. It is characterized by a dark green or black appearance and a musty smell.

Black mold typically grows on material with a high cellulose content, such as paper products, gypsum board, fiberboard, cotton, and more.

Signs Your Pet Might Be Exposed to Mold

  • Gastrointestinal symptoms like diarrhea, vomiting, decreased appetite, and stool changes.
  • Allergic reactions such as watery eyes, fur loss, itching, constant sneezing, rash, and a runny nose.
  • Respiratory problems such as labored breathing and nasal discharge caused by inhaling mold.
  • Behavioral changes.
  • Chewing at their skin, which can cause sores or bleeding.

NOTE: Many of the symptoms of mold exposure in dogs can resemble other health conditions. It’s advisable to consult with a veterinarian as soon as you notice signs of ill-health in your pets.

Contact Tidal Wave Response for Mold Removal

Mold thrives in houses where water damage, high levels of humidity, poor ventilation, and other sources of moisture have been left unattended.

If you’ve noticed signs of mold in your house, you need to take immediate action to get rid of the mold before it affects your pets and causes other disastrous consequences.

Black mold removal is not something you can tackle by yourself if you don’t know what you’re doing. This job should be left to an experienced mold removal company.

If you need help with getting rid of black mold in your house, get in touch with Tidal Wave Response. Our mold removal team is equipped with advanced mold removal equipment, and they understand what needs to be done to get rid of black mold once and for all.